Foundations Webinar, Tuesday 25 January 2022
Changing a small space or whole area, can cause disruption to those who live in the building. And installing new flooring can be particularly disruptive, especially if it puts communal areas out of use.
If you need to
• Refurbish the communal areas in flats
• Refurbish quickly between tenants
• Make repairs without having to remove an entire floor
then here’s an easier way to do it…go adhesive-free.
Here’s the process
• Remove your existing flooring, such as carpet tiles or old lino / vinyl
• Ensure the floor is free of any remaining debris
• Install an Altro adhesive-free floor direct over the substrate without any need to use a levelling compound, damp-proof membrane (DPM) or adhesive – saving you up to 50% installation time and up to 35% costs (see below)
As you won’t be using adhesives and DPMs in the installation, you will not need to hire noisy air extraction equipment; or make alternative arrangements to move or re-house occupants, this will in turn reduce disruption, costs for materials and labour overheads.
And the result?
• Weld and walk on the same day
• No need for wet trades
• Minimal disruption for you, get everyone back to normal – or new tenants in – faster
• Easy access to the subfloor if needed
Adhered flooring uses contact adhesive, so to remove it you could damage not just the subfloor but adjoining walls too. An adhesive-free floor gives you no fuss repair and maintenance, with ease of access to the subfloor allowing you to readily identify and fix problems. In the case of an adhered floor, if you have a leaking pipe you would need to repair both subfloor and wall, the bonded floor would need to be re-screeded and possibly have a surface DPM re-instated; this would not be required with an adhesive-free installation.
What if you don’t want to remove the existing flooring?
You can lay adhesive-free flooring over it and remove it without damaging your original floor when you wish to.
We developed the first adhesive-free safety floor more than ten years ago and today, there are three options in multiple shades: Altro XpressLay safety flooring, Altro Cantata, a decorative floor with 14dB sound reduction and Altro Wood adhesive-free – a wood-look floor that also offers 14dB sound reduction, ideal for housing projects.
How using Altro adhesive-free flooring could benefit you
• Halves installation time, minimises downtime – depending on substrate condition: a 200m2 corridor can be laid in two days compared with four days with an adhered floor covering, with an approximate 35% cost saving
• Up to 14db impact sound reduction and comfort underfoot
• With 15-year life expectancy and 10-year guarantee you needn’t fear that an adhesive-free product will let you down
• Helps you meet sustainability goals – environmental credentials: sustainable option – 100% recyclable post-consumer
• Sustainable wellbeing – easy to clean, hygienic solution
• Easy maintenance – an adhesive-free floor is a great problem-solver. Subfloors will stay clean from adhesive; and easy access to the subfloors for maintenance or repairs means less damage to floors and walls
• No adhesive-associated odours, ideal for areas where people are living
• Save money – save costs on disposal by diverting your waste from landfill or recycling the floor and reusing it somewhere else
• Provides the same low residual indentation as adhered flooring